Dr. Margherita Capriotti
College of Engineering
Department of Aerospace Engineering
Margherita Capriotti received her Ph.D. in Structural Engineering from University of California San Diego in 2019, pursuing research in the Experimental Mechanics & NDE Lab. She previously graduated with her B.S. and M.S. in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Parma (Italy). She has been a postdoctoral Research Fellow at Mayo Clinic in the Department of Radiology, within the Ultrasound Research Lab and she is currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Aerospace Engineering at San Diego State University.
Dr. Capriotti's research focuses on non-destructive evaluation techniques, mainly ultrasonic and infrared, for aerospace composite structures. She investigates thermal and elastic wave propagation for structural assessment, combining computational and experimental research. She works on the development of global-local models for elastic wave scattering and on guided ultrasonic waves and infrared thermography techniques for defect detection and characterization of different materials.
Awards & Honors
- Carol and Stuart Smith Scholarship - Friends of the International Center and University of California, 2019
- Spring Quarter Dissertation Fellowship - Structural Engineering Department, UCSD, 2019
- Research Startup SDSC Resources - Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment (XSEDE, NSF)
- PhD in Structural Engineering - University of California, San Diego, 2019
- MSc in Mechanical Engineering - Università degli Studi di Parma, Parma, IT, 2014
- Graduate Research Trainee - McGill University, Montreal, CA, 2013
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering - Università degli Studi di Parma, Parma, IT, 2012
- Capriotti, M., Greenleaf J., Urban M., (submitted). “Time-aligned plane wave compounding methods for high frame rate shear wave elastography: experimental validation and performance assessment on tissue phantoms”, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology.
- Spada, A., Capriotti, M., Lanza di Scalea, F., (submitted). “Global-Local Model to predict scattering of multiple and dispersive guided elastic waves: 3D application on railroad tracks”, Structural Health Monitoring.
- Capriotti, M., Ellison A., Kim H.E., Kim H., Lanza di Scalea, F., (in preparation). “Data Fusion and Correlation of Ultrasonic guided waves inspection with other conventional NDE techniques for composite aerospace structures”, Composite Structures.
- Capriotti, M., Lanza di Scalea, F., (2020). “Robust non-destructive inspection of composite aerospace structures by extraction of ultrasonic guided-wave transfer function in single-input-dual-output scanning systems”, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 31(5), 651-664.
- Spada, A., Capriotti, M., Lanza di Scalea, F., (2020). “Global-Local Model for guided wave scattering problems with application to defect characterization in built-up composite structures”, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 182, 267-280.
- Liang, A. Y., Sternini, S., Capriotti, M., Lanza di Scalea, F. (2019). High Speed Ultrasonic Rail Inspection by Passive Non-contact Technique. Materials Evaluation, 77(7), 941-950.
- Lanza di Scalea, F., Zhu, X., Capriotti, M., Liang, A., Mariani, S., and Sternini, S., (2018). “Passive Extraction of Dynamic Transfer Function from Arbitrary Ambient Excitations: Application to High speed Rail Inspection from Wheel-generated Waves”, ASME Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, Diagnostics and Prognostics of Engineering Systems, 1(1), pp. 0110051- 01100512.
- Capriotti M., Kim H. E., Lanza di Scalea F., Kim, H., (2017). “Non-Destructive Inspection of Impact Damage in Composite Aircraft Panels by Ultrasonic Guided Waves and Statistical Processing”, Materials Journal, Special Issue "Structural Health Monitoring for Aerospace Applications 2017", 10(6), 616; doi:10.3390/ma10060616.
- Capriotti M., Cui R., Lanza di Scalea F., (2018). “Damage detection and visco-elastic property characterization of composite aerospace panels using ultrasonic guided waves”, Proceedings of the 2018 Annual Conference of Experimental and Applied Mechanics, Mechanics of Composite, Hybrid and Multifunctional Materials, vol.5.
- Capriotti M., Kim H. E., Lanza di Scalea F., Kim, H., (2017). “Detection of major impact damage to composite aerospace structures by ultrasonic guided waves and statistical signal processing”, X International Conference on Structural Dynamics, EURODYN 2017.
- Mayo Clinic (Department of Radiology): Ultrasound Research Lab, Rochester, MN. Ultrasound shear wave elastography for arterial wall properties investigation. Oct. 2019 – present
- University of California San Diego: Blue LINC (UCSD’s first Biomedical Incubator), San Diego, CA. Development of medical devices for detection and visualization of abnormal biological conditions. Sept. 2018 - present
- University of California San Diego: FAA, Advanced Composite Laboratory and NDE/SHM Laboratory, San Diego, CA. Analytical-Numerical models for the simulation of ultrasonic guided wave propagation in structures. Apr. 2018 - present
- University of California San Diego: FAA, Advanced Composite Laboratory and NDE/SHM Laboratory, San Diego, CA. Damage Tolerance Guidelines for Stiffened Composite Panels. Dec. 2017 - present
- University of California San Diego: FAA, Advanced Composite Laboratory and NDE/SHM Laboratory, San Diego, CA. Non-Destructive Evaluation for Detecting Major Damage in Internal Composite Structures. Jan. 2015 - Dec. 2017
- University of California San Diego: NDE/SHM Laboratory, San Diego, CA. 2D-IR Thermography on Stiffened Composite Panels. Nov. 2017 - present
- University of California San Diego: NDE/SHM Laboratory, San Diego, CA. Extraction of thermal Green’s function using diffuse fields: a passive approach to IR Thermography. Jan. 2015 – Jul. 2018
- University of California San Diego: NDE/SHM Laboratory, San Diego, CA. Passive high speed rail inspection. Sept. 2016 – Sept. 2019
- McGill University: Vibrations and Fluid-Structure Interaction Laboratory, Montreal, CA. Active vibration control of a composite sandwich plate: theoretical analysis and experimental results. Sept. 2013 - Feb. 2014
- Università degli Studi di Parma, Parma, IT. ASHRAE Inverse Modeling energy use applied to a hospital building. Sept. 2011 – Feb. 2012