Ahmad Bani Younes
- Dr. Bani Younes has worked on a wide range of space research topics, including the development of fast and high fidelity gravity model for the earth anomalies; fast and efficient trajectories propagation for satellite motions; optimal control theory, which is focused on spacecraft Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC) issues, trajectory generation, spacecraft attitude tracking, and feedback control methodologies; and, algorithms development for optimization theory, perturbation theory, orbital motion, and very broadly algorithmic differentiation for automatically generating mixed sets of high-order partial derivatives.
- Dr. Bani Younes has worked on designing and developing estimation, control and navigation
sensors algorithms. He has developed advanced modeling and simulation tools for supporting
high precision trajectory calculations for orbital systems. After his successful achieving
in building the Spacecraft Platform for Astronautics & Celestial Emulation (SPACE)
at Khalifa University, he is currently developing a Space GNC and astronautics laboratory
in SDSU. It aims to be a 6DOF facility that supports comprehensive studies and hardware
experiments for sensing, guidance, dynamics and control of space operations in an
operationally relevant environment. The lab conducts research in robotic sensing and
control with an aim to enhance the fields of proximity operations, human-robot interaction,
stereo vision, swarm robotics, and autonomous aerial vehicles.
- Dr. Bani Younes is supporting the department leadership by developing space-related
programs and research activities at San Diego State University. He is the advisor
for the Rocket project at San Diego State University and he is also working to develop
CubeSat project in the engineering college.
- Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES) Award, 2018
- Khalifa University Employee Award for Outstanding Service, 2016.
- ADEC Award for Research Excellence AARE, ADEC
- DRONES: Build and Fly chief expert award, WorldSkills, 2017
- DRONES: Build and Fly chief expert award, EmiratesSkills, 2015
- Recognition Certificate for best advising Matlab Club, Khalifa University, 2014
- Best Paper Award, 37th AAS GNC conference, 2014
- SIAM Award, Automatic Differentiation, 2012
- Graduate Teaching Academy (GTA) Award, Texas A&M University, 2012
- Graduate Teaching Academy (GTA) Senior Fellowship, Texas A&M University, 2012
- Graduate Teaching Academy (GTA) Fellowship, Texas A&M University, 2011
- Award of Academic Excellence, Jordan University of Science and Technology, 2003
- PhD in Aerospace Engineering - Texas A&M University, 2013
- MSc in Aerospace Engineering - University of Dayton, 2009
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering - Jordan University of Science & Technology, 2003
- Optimization, Estimation and Control Applications in Dynamical Systems
- Guidance, Navigation and Astronautics
- Space Robotics and Autonomous UAS
- Algorithms Development
- In Review Bani Younes A. and Mortari D., “Derivation of Exact Attitude Error Kinematics Equations,” Acta Astronautica, 2018.
- Accepted Bani Younes A., “Exact Computation of High-Order State Transition Tensors for Perturbed Orbital Motion,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics (AIAA), 2018.
- Accepted Alhulayil M., Bani Younes A. and Turner J., “Higher Order Algorithm For Solving Lambert's Problem,” Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, 2018.
- Saeed A., Younes A., Cai C., Cai G., “A survey of hybrid Unmanned Aerial Vehicles,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Volume 98, April 2018, pp. 91-105. (doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paerosci.2018.03.007).
- Alhulayil M., Bani Younes A. and Turner J., “Fast P-Iteration for Lambert's Problem,” International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Vol 60, 486, 2017.
- Alshawaqfeh M., Serpedin E., Younes A., “Inferring microbial interaction networks from metagenomic data using SgLV-EKF algorithm,” BMC Genomics. 2017, 18 (Suppl 3), 228. (doi:10.1186/s12864-017-3605-x).
- Bani Younes A. and Turner J., “Derivative Enhanced Optimal Feedback Control Using Computational Differentiation,” International Journal of Applied & Experimental Mathematics, Volume 1. 2016. 112 (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.15344/ijaem/2016/112).
- Junkins, J. L., Bani Younes, A., Woollands, R., and Bai, X., “Efficient and Adaptive Orthogonal Finite Element Representation of the Geopotential,” Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, 2017. Pp.1-38. (doi: 10.1007/s40295-016-0111-3).
- Bani Younes A., and Turner J., “Semi-Analytic Probability Density Function for System Uncertainty,” ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems, Part B: Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 2, Issue 4, RISK-16-1041, 2016, (doi: 10.1115/1.4033886).
- Read J., Bani Younes A., and Junkins J., “Efficient Orbit Propagation of Orbital Elements Using Modified Chebyshev Picard Iteration Method,” Journal of Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences (CMES): Special Issue on Computational Methods in Astrodynamics, Vol. 111, No. 1: pp. 65-81, 2016.
- Turner J., Alnaqeb A., and Bani Younes A., “Continued Fraction Cartesian to Geodetic Coordinate Transformation,” Journal of Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences (CMES): Special Issue on Computational Methods in Astrodynamics, Vol. 111, No. 3: pp. 257-267, 2016.
- Woollands, R., Bani Younes A. and Junkins, J. L., “New Solutions for Lambert’s Problem Utilizing Regularization and Picard Iteration,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics (AIAA), Vol. 38, No. 9 : pp. 1548-1562, September 2015, (doi: 10.2514/1.G001028).
- Reed J., Bani Younes A., Macomber B., Junkins, J. L. and Turner J., “State Transition Matrix for Perturbed Orbital Motion using Modified Chebyshev Picard Iteration,” Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, Vol. 62, No. 2: pp. 148-167, June 2015, (doi: 10.1007/s40295-015-0051-3).
- Bani Younes A., Mortari, D., Turner J. D., and Junkins, J. L., “Attitude Error Kinematics,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics (AIAA), Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 330-336, June 2014, (doi: 10.2514/1.60928).
- Junkins, J. L., Bani Younes, A., Woollands, R., and Bai, X., “Picard Iteration, Chebyshev Polynomials and Chebyshev Picard Methods: Application in Astrodynamics,” Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, Vol. 60, No. 3: pp. 623-653, December 2013.
- Bani Younes A., and Turner J. D., “Generalized Algorithms for Least Squares Optimization for Nonlinear Observation Models and Newton’s Method,” Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, Vol. 60, No. 3: pp. 517-540, December 2013.
- Hasan Z. and Bani Younes A., “Analyzing Nonlinear Flexible Structures using Perturbation Approach,” ASME Early Career Technical Journal, Vol. 9. No. 13, pp. 96-104, 2010.